Today, September 13, 2011 is National Celiac Disease Awareness Day. I am doing my part to help spread awareness by partnering with LUNA to offer one lucky reader a sampling of their new gluten-free protein bars! But first, the awareness part.
One of my favorite websites for Celiac Disease awareness is the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness or NFCA for short. Whenever I want to reference technical information about Celiac Disease, that is the site I always refer to. It is so important to help spread the word so that people out there who are needlessly suffering can be helped. I am sure with rising awareness most of us know someone, in real life, with Celiac Disease outside of our immediate family. Do you know someone who hasn’t been feeling well, but can’t really figure out why? Send them to this symptom checklist and have them browse the website.
Now, for the down & dirty facts:
Celiac and Gluten-Free Fast Facts:
- Celiac disease is an autoimmune digestive disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.
- One in 133 Americans have celiac disease.
- An estimated 3 million Americans across all races, ages and genders suffer from celiac.
- 95% of celiacs are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions. (Source: Fasano A, et al. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:286-292.)
- 6-10 years is the average time a person waits to be correctly diagnosed. (Source: Daniel Leffler, MD, MS, The Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center)
- 5-22% of celiac patients have an immediate family member (1st degree relative) who also has celiac.
- Celiac disease can lead to a number of other disorders including infertility, reduced bone density, neurological disorders, some cancers, and other autoimmune diseases.
Learn more about Related Diseases »
Another favorite website is 1in133. They have successfully helped to re-open the Gluten-Free Labeling proposal for an additional 60 day comment period. Want to help? Complete this form & submit before October 3, 2011.
LUNA is now offering 5 gluten-free protein bars. I am a huge fan of these bars and like to use them after my long runs to get a quick burst of protein within that important window. I will usually eat one of these bars while I am driving home and then eat my real breakfast an hour or so later. The bars come in 5 flavors: mint chocolate chip (hello Thin Mint!), peanut butter chocolate, cookie dough, chocolate and chocolate cherry almond. One lucky reader will win a sampling of all 5 bars to try! All you have to do is follow the directions below in the Rafflecopter box. The giveaway will run until Monday night at midnight.