Not too long ago I did a review of Boundless Nutrition Perfect Protein Cookies. They were awesome! If you can give me a good reason to eat a cookie, chances are I won’t argue with you. In addition to the protein cookies, Boundless Nutrition also makes a line of protein bars: Oatmega 3 Wellness Bars.
The Oatmega 3 Wellness bars come in 4 different varieties:
- Dark chocolate peanut – Roasted Peanut butter with organic chocolate and oats – a healthy replacement for your favorite peanut candy
- Dark chocolate mint – Organic Oats and Organic Dark Chocolate combined with peppermint oils make a delicious snack that tastes just like your favorite Girl Scout
- Mocha – Delicious notes of organic chocolate with your favorite barista roasted
- Blueberry pomegranate crunch – A crunchy berry filled treat with the purest blueberry and pomegranate
I was sent one of each bar to sample & review. I’ll get to my thoughts in a minute, but first wanted to share some of the benefits of the bars:
- Oatmega 3 Wellness Bars contain a proprietary mix of 3 Health Promoting Ingredients — EPA and DHA Omega 3, High Quality Protein, and Green Tea Antioxidants!
- Between 120-190 calories
- Between 10-14 grams of protein
The oats used in these bars are gluten-free (I made sure to check & double check before I sampled & reviewed). I have now tried all 4 varieties and I think the mocha & the dark chocolate peanut were my favorites. The flavor & texture of the bars was pleasant, and although there is fish oil in the bars, you can’t taste it! Nothing like getting an extra bonus, right? I did like the other varieties, especially the blueberry pomegranate, as it only has 120 calories and still has 10 grams of protein. Protein is an essential component in helping to refuel after a long run or hard workout. Those muscles that we work so hard to build up can’t repair themselves properly without the right fuel. I used to be worried about calories & was hesitant to eat immediately after a workout because I knew I would be eating a meal within an hour or two. Well, guess what? I was only hurting myself by behaving that way; I would feel horrible after my long runs. Since I have started to eat something high in protein and with a healthy dose of carbs within 30 minutes of completing my long run (on the drive home), I haven’t had a headache or felt the need to lay in bed all day to “recover”. Now I eat on the way home and then I have time to stretch & shower before eating a real meal. The real meal usually takes place 1.5 – 2 hours after my long run is completed. I used to be a “scheduled eater”. What I mean by that is that I ate my meals at a certain time & I didn’t like to get off of my schedule. I have learned to let go and listen to my body, which knows more than my brain thinks it does.
The Oatmega 3 Wellness bars can be purchased online and in many stores across the US, including GNC and Whole Foods. Have you tried the Oatmega 3 Wellness bars? Make sure to check out Erin’s (Gluten-Free Fitness) review of the bars if you get a chance.
***The products reviewed in this post were sent to me free of charge for review purposes. The opinions stated here are mine and have not been influenced by anyone or anything.