Friday, April 22, 2011 is Earth Day. What are you doing in celebration of the earth on Earth Day? Both Caribou & Starbucks are offering free freshly brewed coffee/tea to those who bring in their reusable/travel mugs for a fill-up. Make sure to check each website for the specifics before heading into the store. I know I will be there bright-eyed & bushy-tailed after I hit the gym in the morning.
*Image courtesy of xedos4
What are you doing to take action? This website suggests pledging to take 5 small actions. Here are some things we are doing in our home:
1. Recycle – We have multiple recycling bins that we fill each week. We have not only cut back on the amount of “trash” that we toss, but the number of trash bags that we are buying.
2. Reuse – We all have water bottles so we aren’t buying cases of bottled water & then tossing the bottles. I also try to pack Hannah’s lunch in reusable containers as opposed to Ziplock bags.
3. Use less water. Turning off the water while brushing our teeth, not running the water non-stop while doing dishes. Only running the dishwasher or washing machine when they are full.
4. Turn off lights when leaving a room. I have gotten much better at this. My children? Not so much. It is a learning process.
5. Commute less. While I “work” from home, I do tend to run a lot of errands. I try to map out my week so that I can try to hit all the places that are close together at the same time. Not only am I saving myself money on gas, but I am not polluting as much when I am not using my car. If there was a way for me to walk or ride my bike to stores & such, I would do it, but it isn’t feasible where I live.
Did you take the pledge? Care to share your 5?