It is no secret that Friday night is generally pizza night in our house. We don’t typically order out, but sometimes we do. When we make pizza at home, it is usually a MYOP (make your own pizza). Either I’ll use individual frozen pizza crusts from Udi’s Gluten-free or Rudi’s Gluten-free or I will use a mix & shape the dough into individual pizzas. One of my favorite mixes to use is Bob’s Red Mill, which is also used at one of my favorite local restaurants, Marcella’s.
We do pizza on Fridays because the kids are often heading in different directions and eating at different times. Also, I usually have a long run planned for Saturday with MIT, so carb loading is the way to go!
This past Friday I had some random ingredients that I needed to put to use, so those became the toppings for my pizza. While they may not all sound like they go well together, my pizza ROCKED!
Don’t mind the bite taken out of the piece on the left, I was so excited & hungry, that I forgot to take pictures first!
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 frozen Udi’s pizza crust
- 1/2 cup diced San Marzano tomatoes, drained (these make the pizza!)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Fresh Basil (for garnish)
1. Heat oven to temperature indicated on package – 400 degrees is what I use. Spread ricotta cheese on frozen pizza crust.
2. Spread tomatoes & sauteed mushrooms across crust; top with mozzarella and spinach.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted & crust around the edge has started to brown.
4. Top with fresh basil either whole or chopped.
I usually eat the whole thing plus a salad to get some serious carb action going on. Occasionally I finish off with a bowl of sorbet or froyo, but it depends on how full I am. There are rarely 2 Friday nights that I eat the same pizza – I enjoy using up the leftovers from the week and trying new combinations.